Join us in person in San Diego (La Mesa, CA) for Improv Therapy Classes
“Ability to engage in storytelling is incredibly beneficial to the populations I serve.”
“I have the awareness to develop today's training as a tool to connect well with others.”
“I feel that I will use this unit in groups to foster empathy and encourage connection in a safe space.”
“I work a lot with adolescent who struggle with emotions so this will be helpful.”
“I am likely to use the "Reminds Me of..." with couples who have trouble connecting and listening to each other.”
“I can use this with my elderly mother who is a stroke victim as well as some of my older clients..especially the alphabet game.”
“Directly applicable to the way I lead my inpatient groups.”
Here are the modules you will learn, practice and be able to incorporate into your practice:
- MAGIC WORDS: Communication and “Yes, and”
- PERFECT IS BORING: Embracing Imperfection
- BRAIN YOGA: Cognitive Flexibility, Neuroplasticity and Memory
- I SECOND THAT EMOTION: Emotional Intelligence and Empathy
- OUR STORIES OURSELVES: Creative Storytelling and Expression
- HEAL THYSELF: Stress Reduction and Self Care
- FOLLOW THE FEAR: It's OK to Fail
- IN THE NOW: Mindfulness and Being Present
We welcome all practitioners and counselors!
The Improv Therapy Group is the manifestation of a profound connection between life skills and improvisation training. Improv classes provide a safe space to practice imperfection, let go of control and practice mindfulness while having fun and laughing.
We will leave time to process how the communication techniques learned in these games and exercises have been applied to Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Group Therapy, Couples Therapy and Individual Therapy.